Welcome to Pao!
READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS APP. USING THIS APP INDICATES THAT YOU HAVE BOTH READ AND ACCEPT THESE TERMS. YOU CANNOT USE THIS APP IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS.
NOTE: HESE TERMS CONTAIN A DISPUTE RESOLUTION AND ARBITRATION PROVISION, INCLUDING CLASS ACTION WAIVER THAT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THESE TERMS AND WITH RESPECT TO DISPUTES YOU MAY HAVE WITH US. YOU MAY OPT OUT OF THE BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER AS PROVIDED BELOW.
Who We Are
Pao is a product of Pao App Inc. (“Pao,” the “Company,” “we,” “We,” “us,” “Us,” “our,” or “Our”), the company behind the Pao service (the “Service”). The Service is designed as a mobile application (“App”) providing user-generated, location-based recommendations for all sorts of experiences, including restaurants, things to do, and places to stay. The individual or organization that subscribes to the Service will be referred to as the “User” or “you” or “You”.
The Pao Service
The Service includes all of the Pao products, features, applications, services, technologies, and software that we provide to advance Pao’s mission: To get you off the couch and into the world. The Service is made up of the following aspects:
• O ffering personalized opportunities to create, connect, communicate, discover, and share.
We want to connect you to experiences you may enjoy, and to people who are out in the world experiencing things you may want to try as well. So we build systems that try to understand who and what you and others care about, and use that information to help you create, find, and share experiences that matter to you. Part of that is highlighting content, features, offers, and accounts you might be interested in, and offering ways for you to experience Pao, based on things you and others do on and off Pao.
• Offering a personalized location where you can store and organize your experiences. Your Pao profile will organize your uploaded and saved experiences geographically, and allow you to filter and search them.
• Fostering a positive, inclusive, and safe environment.
We do not and will not tolerate content that is in conflict with a positive environment.
• Developing and using technologies that help us consistently serve our growing community.
Organizing and analyzing information for our growing community is central to our Service. A big part of our Service is creating and using cutting-edge technologies that help us personalize, protect, and improve our Service. Technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning give us the power to apply complex processes across our Service. Automated technologies also help us ensure the functionality and integrity of our Service.
• Ensuring a stable global infrastructure for our Service.
To provide our global Service, we must store and transfer data across our systems around the world, which may include outside of your country of residence.
• Connecting you with brands, products, and services in ways you care about.
We may use data from Pao and third-party partners to show you ads, offers, and other sponsored content that we believe will be meaningful to you. And we try to make that content as relevant as all your other experiences on Pao.
• Research and innovation.
We use the information we have to study our Service and collaborate with others on research to make our Service better and contribute to the well-being of our community.
In return for our commitment to provide the Service, we require you to make the below commitments to us.
Who Can Use Pao. We want our Service to be as open and inclusive as possible, but we also want it to be safe, secure, and in accordance with the law. So, we need you to commit to a few restrictions in order to be part of the Pao community.
• You must be at least 13 years old if you live in the United States and at least 16 years old if you live outside the United States. If you are not yet 18 years old, you must have the permission of an adult to agree to these Terms, and that adult must be a parent or legal guardian who is willing be responsible for your use of the App and the Service.
• You must not be prohibited from receiving any aspect of our Service under applicable laws or engaging in payments related Services if you are on an applicable denied party listing.
• We must not have previously disabled your account for violation of law or any of our policies.
How You Can’t Use Pao. Providing a safe and open Service for a broad community requires that we all do our part.
• You can’t impersonate others or provide inaccurate information.
You don’t have to disclose your identity on Pao, but you must provide us with accurate and up to date information (including registration information). Also, you may not impersonate someone you aren’t, and you can’t create an account for someone else unless you have their express permission.
• You can’t do anything unlawful, misleading, or fraudulent or for an illegal or unauthorized purpose.
• You can’t violate (or help or encourage others to violate) these Terms or our policies.
• You can’t do anything to interfere with or impair the intended operation of the Service.
• You can’t attempt to create accounts or access or collect information in unauthorized ways.
This includes creating accounts or collecting information in an automated way without our express permission.
• You can’t attempt to buy, sell, or transfer any aspect of your account (including your username) or solicit, collect, or use login credentials of other users.
• You can’t post private or confidential information or do anything that violates someone else’s rights, including intellectual property.
Permissions You Give to Us. As part of our agreement, you also give us permissions that we need to provide the Service.
• We do not claim ownership of your content, but you grant us a license to use it.
Nothing is changing about your rights in your content. We do not claim ownership of your content that you post on or through the Service. Instead, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (like photos or videos) on or in connection with our Service, you hereby grant to us a perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings).Even if you delete your account, content will continue to appear if you shared it with others and they have not deleted it.
• Permission to use your username, profile picture, and information about your relationships and actions with accounts, ads, and sponsored content.
You give us permission to show your username, profile picture, and information about your actions (such as saves) or relationships (such as people who are in “your people”) next to or in connection with accounts, ads, offers, and other sponsored content that you follow or engage with that are displayed on Pao, without any compensation to you. For example, we may show that you saved a sponsored spot created by a brand that has paid us to display its ads on Pao. As with actions on other content and follows of other accounts, actions on sponsored content and follows of sponsored accounts can be seen only by people who have permission to see that content or follow.
• You agree that we can download and install updates to the Service on your device.
Additional Rights We Retain
• If you select a username or similar identifier for your account, we may change it if we believe it is appropriate or necessary (for example, if it infringes someone’s intellectual property or impersonates another user).
• If you use content covered by intellectual property rights that we have and make available in our Service (for example, images, designs, videos, or sounds we provide that you add to content you create or share), we retain all rights to our content (but not yours).
• You must obtain written permission from us or under an open source license to modify, create derivative works of, decompile, or otherwise attempt to extract source code from us.
• All trademarks, names and logos on this App and the Service are the property of their respective owners.
• We reserve all rights in and to our intellectual property. Except as otherwise required or limited by applicable law, any reproduction, distribution, modification, retransmission, or publication of any copyrighted material is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of the copyright owner or license.
Content Removal and Disabling or Terminating Your Account
• Content you delete may persist for a limited period of time in backup copies and will still be visible where others have shared it. This paragraph, and the section below called “Our Agreement and What Happens if We Disagree,” will still apply even after your account is terminated or deleted.
Our Agreement and What Happens if We Disagree
• If any aspect of this agreement is unenforceable, the rest will remain in effect.
• Any amendment or waiver to our agreement must be in writing and signed by us. If we fail to enforce any aspect of this agreement, it will not be a waiver.
• We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.
Who Has Rights Under this Agreement.
• This agreement does not give rights to any third parties.
• You cannot transfer your rights or obligations under this agreement without our consent.
• Our rights and obligations can be assigned to others. For example, this could occur if our ownership changes (as in a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets) or by law.
Who Is Responsible if Something Happens.
• Our Service and the App is provided “as is,” and we can’t guarantee it will be safe, error-free, secure or will work perfectly all the time.
• YOU USE THE SERVICES AND THE APP AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE SERVICES AND THE APP ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. PAO HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. BY WAY OF EXAMPLE, PAO MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICES OR THE APP (OR ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICES OR THE APP) WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONSTHE SERVICES OR THE APP WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE; OR THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR THE APP WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE.
• We don’t control what people and others do or say, and we aren’t responsible for their (or your) actions or conduct (whether online or offline) or content (including unlawful or objectionable content). We also aren’t responsible for services and features offered by other people or companies, even if you access them through our Service.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT.
We respect the intellectual property rights of others and encourage You to do the same. Accordingly, We have a policy of removing user submissions that violate intellectual property rights of others, suspending access to this Service (or any portion thereof) to any user who uses this Service in violation of someone’s intellectual property rights, and/or terminating in appropriate circumstances the account of any user who uses the this Service in violation of someone’s intellectual property rights.
Pursuant to Title 17 of the United States Code, Section 512, We have implemented procedures for receiving written notification of claimed copyright infringement and for processing such claims in accordance with such law. If You believe Your copyright or other intellectual property right is being infringed by a user of this Service, please provide written notice to Our Agent for notice of claims of infringement:
Attn: Sara Zervos, DMCA Agent
Address: 228 Wildwood Lane, Boulder CO 80304
To be sure the matter is handled immediately, Your written notice must:
• Contain Your physical or electronic signature;
• Identify the copyrighted work or other intellectual property alleged to have been infringed;
• Identify the allegedly infringing material in a sufficiently precise manner to allow Us to locate that material;
• Contain adequate information by which We can contact You (including postal address, telephone number, and e-mail address);
• Contain a statement that You have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material or other intellectual property is not authorized by the owner, the owner’s agent or the law;
• Contain a statement that the information in the written notice is accurate; and
• Contain statement, under penalty of perjury, that You are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright or other intellectual property right owner.
Unless the notice pertains to copyright or other intellectual property infringement, the Agent will be unable to address the listed concern.
Submitting a DMCA Counter-Notification
We will notify You that We have removed or disabled access to copyright-protected material that You provided, if such removal is pursuant to a validly received DMCA take-down notice. In response, You may provide Our Agent with a written counter-notification that includes the following information:
1. Your physical or electronic signature;
2. Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled, and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
3. A statement from You under the penalty of perjury, that You have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; and
4. Your name, physical address and telephone number, and a statement that You consent to the jurisdiction of a court for the judicial district in which Your physical address is located, or if Your physical address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which We may be located, and that You will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of allegedly infringing material or an agent of such person.
Termination of Repeat Infringers
We reserve the right, in Our sole discretion, to terminate the account or access of any user of this Service who is the subject of repeated DMCA or other infringement notifications.
Any feedback by You to Us (e.g., comments, questions, suggestions, materials – collectively, “Feedback”) through any communication whatsoever (e.g., call, fax, email) will be treated as both non-confidential and non-proprietary. You hereby assign all right, title, and interest in, and We are free to use, without any attribution or compensation to You, any ideas, know-how, concepts, techniques, or other intellectual property and proprietary rights contained in the Feedback, whether or not patentable, for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, developing, manufacturing, having manufactured, licensing, marketing, and selling, directly or indirectly, products and services using such Feedback. You understand and agree that We are not obligated to use, display, reproduce, or distribute any such ideas, know-how, concepts, or techniques contained in the Feedback, and You have no right to compel such use, display, reproduction, or distribution.
How We Will Handle Disputes.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION AND ARBITRATION; CLASS ACTION WAIVER.
Please Read This Provision Carefully. It Affects Your Legal Rights.
This Provision facilitates the prompt and efficient resolution of any dispute (e.g., claim or controversy, whether based in contract, statute, regulation, ordinance, tort – including, but not limited to, fraud, misrepresentation, fraudulent inducement, or negligence – or any other legal or equitable theory, and includes the validity, enforceability or scope of this Provision (with the exception of the enforceability of the Class Action Waiver clause below) that may arise between You and Us. Effectively, then, “dispute” is given the broadest meaning enforceable by law and includes any claims against other parties relating to services or products provided or billed to You (such as Our licensors, suppliers, dealers or third-party vendors) whenever You also assert claims against Us in the same proceeding.
This Provision provides that all disputes between You and Us shall be resolved by binding arbitration because acceptance of These Terms constitutes a waiver of Your right to litigation claims and all opportunity to be heard by a judge or jury. We prefer this because We believe arbitration is less drama-filled than litigation. To be clear, there is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is limited. The arbitrator must follow this agreement and can award the same damages and relief as a court (including attorney’s fees). You may, however, opt-out of this Provision which means You would have a right or opportunity to bring claims in a court, before a judge or jury, and/or to participate in or be represented in a case filed in court by others (including, but not limited to, class actions). EVERYONE AGREES THAT, EXCEPT AS PROVIDED BELOW, ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, AS DEFINED ABOVE, WHETHER PRESENTLY IN EXISTENCE OR BASED ON ACTS OR OMISSIONS IN THE PAST OR IN THE FUTURE, WILL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY AND FINALLY BY BINDING ARBITRATION RATHER THAN IN COURT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS PROVISION.
Pre-Arbitration Claim Resolution
For all Disputes, whether pursued in court or arbitration, You must first give Us an opportunity to resolve the Dispute which is first done by emailing to Us at email@example.com the following information: (1)Your name, (2) Your address, (3) A written description of Your Claim, and (4) A description of the specific relief You seek. If We do not resolve the Dispute within 45 days after receiving Your notification, than You may pursue Your Dispute in arbitration. You may pursue Your dispute in a court only under the circumstances described below.
Exclusions from Arbitration/Right to Opt Out
Notwithstanding the above, Your or We may choose to pursue a Dispute in court and not by arbitration if: (a) The dispute qualifies for initiation in small claims court; or (b) YOU OPT-OUT OF THESE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE DATE THAT YOU FIRST CONSENT TO THIS AGREEMENT (the “Opt-Out Deadline”). You may opt-out of this Provision by emailing Us at firstname.lastname@example.org the following information: (1) Your name; (2) Your address; (3) A clear statement that You do not wish to resolve disputes with Us through arbitration. Either way, We will not take any decision You make personally. In fact, We promise that Your decision to opt-out of this Arbitration Provision will have no adverse effect on Your relationship with Us. But, We do have to enforce the Opt-Out Deadline so keep in mind that any opt-out request received after the Opt-Out Deadline will not be valid and You must pursue Your dispute in arbitration or small claims court.
If this Provision applies and the dispute is not resolved as provided above (Pre-Arbitration Claim Resolution) either You or We may initiate arbitration proceedings. The American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), www.adr.org, or JAMS, www.jamsadr.com, will arbitrate all disputes, and the arbitration will be conducted before a single arbitrator. The arbitration shall be commenced as an individual arbitration, and shall in no event be commenced as a class arbitration. All issues shall be for the arbitrator to decide, including the scope of this Provision.
For arbitration before AAA, for Disputes of less than $75,000, the AAA’s Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes will apply; for Disputes involving $75,000 or more, the AAA’s Commercial Arbitration Rules will apply. In either instance, the AAA’s Optional Rules For Emergency Measures Of Protection shall apply. The AAA rules are available at www.adr.org or by calling 1-800-778-7879. For arbitration before JAMS, the JAMS Comprehensive Arbitration Rules & Procedures and the JAMS Recommended Arbitration Discovery Protocols For Domestic, Commercial Cases will apply. The JAMS rules are available at www.jamsadr.com or by calling 1-800-352-5267. This Provision governs in the event it conflicts with the applicable arbitration rules. Under no circumstances will class action procedures or rules apply to the arbitration.
Because this App and these Terms concern interstate commerce, the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”) governs the arbitrability of all disputes. However, the arbitrator will apply applicable substantive law consistent with the FAA and the applicable statute of limitations or condition precedent to suit.
Arbitration Award – The arbitrator may award on an individual basis any relief that would be available pursuant to applicable law, and will not have the power to award relief to, against or for the benefit of any person who is not a party to the proceeding. The arbitrator will make any award in writing but need not provide a statement of reasons unless requested by a party. Such award will be final and binding on the parties, except for any right of appeal provided by the FAA, and may be entered in any court having jurisdiction over the parties for purposes of enforcement.
Location of Arbitration – You or We may initiate arbitration in either New York or the federal judicial district that includes Your billing address. In the event that You select the latter, We may transfer the arbitration to New York so long as We agree to pay any additional fees or costs which the arbitrator determines You incur as a result of the transfer.
Payment of Arbitration Fees and Costs – So long as You place a request in writing prior to commencement of the arbitration, We will pay all arbitration fees and associated costs and expenses. But, You will still be responsible for all additional fees and costs that You incur in the arbitration which include but are not limited to attorneys’ fees or expert witnesses. In addition to any fees and costs recoverable under applicable law, if You provide notice and negotiate in good faith with Us as provided in the section above titled “Pre-Arbitration Claim Resolution” and the arbitrator concludes that You are the prevailing party in the arbitration, You will be entitled to recover reasonable attorney’s fees and costs as determined by the arbitrator.
Class Action Waiver
Except as otherwise provided in this Provision, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a class or representative proceeding or claims (such as a class action, consolidated action or private attorney general action) unless both You and We specifically agree to do so following initiation of the arbitration. If You choose to pursue Your Dispute in court by opting out of the Arbitration Provision, as specified above, this Class Action Waiver will not apply to You. Neither You, nor any other user of this App can be a class representative, class member, or otherwise participate in a class, consolidated, or representative proceeding without having complied with the opt-out requirements above.
You understand and agree that by accepting this Provision in these Terms, You and We are each waiving the right to a jury trial or a trial before a judge in a public court. In the absence of this Provision, You and We might otherwise have had a right or opportunity to bring disputes in a court, before a judge or jury, and/or to participate or be represented in a case filed in court by others (including class actions). Except as otherwise provided below, those rights are waived. Other rights that You would have if You went to court (e.g.,, the rights to both appeal and certain types of discovery) may be more limited or may also be waived.
If any clause within this Provision (other than the Class Action Waiver clause above) is found to be illegal or unenforceable, that clause will be severed from this Provision whose remainder will be given full force and effect. If the Class Action Waiver clause is found to be illegal or unenforceable, this entire Provision will be unenforceable and the dispute will be decided by a court.
This Provision shall survive the termination of Your account with Us or Our affiliates and Your discontinued use of this App. Notwithstanding any provision in this Agreement to the contrary, We agree that if We make any change to this Provision (other than a change to the Notice Address), You may reject any such change and require Us to adhere to the language in this Provision if a dispute between Us arises.
We think direct communication resolves most issues – if We feel that You are not complying with these Terms, We will tell You. We will even provide You with recommended necessary corrective action(s) because We value this relationship.
However, certain violations of these Terms, as determined by Us, may require immediate termination of Your access to this App without prior notice to You. The Federal Arbitration Act, Colorado state law and applicable U.S. federal law, without regard to the choice or conflicts of law provisions, will govern these Terms. Foreign laws do not apply. Except for disputes subject to arbitration as described above, any disputes relating to these Terms or this App will be heard in the courts located in Denver, Colorado. If any of these Terms are deemed inconsistent with applicable law, then such term(s) shall be interpreted to reflect the intentions of the parties, and no other terms will be modified. By choosing not to enforced any of these Terms, We are not waiving Our rights. These Terms are the entire agreement between You and Us and, therefore, supersede all prior or contemporaneous negotiations, discussions or agreements between Everyone about this App. The proprietary rights, disclaimer of warranties, representations made by You, indemnities, limitations of liability and general provisions shall survive any termination of these Terms.
Updating These Terms
We may change our Service, App and policies, and we may need to make changes to these Terms so that they accurately reflect our Service, App and policies. Unless otherwise required by law, we will notify you (for example, through our Service) before we make changes to these Terms and give you an opportunity to review them before they go into effect. Then, if you continue to use the Service, you will be bound by the updated Terms. If you do not want to agree to these or any updated Terms, you can delete your account (within the Settings feature on the App). These Terms were updated November 1, 2018.